Traders of the Lost Art

These items are pieces that I have in my inventory. Most of the items are recent acquisitions and are usually for sale, but often I'll feature a piece just because I find it interesting/unusual and worthy of attention. Feel free to comment or inquire.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rockford, Illinois, United States

Friday, May 28, 2010

TEMPLE HEAD, CAMBODIA...ANKOR WAT?




This Cambodian piece holds more mystery for me than all my collection put together. Years ago, I visited Ankor Wat in Cambodia and was overwhelmed with the site. Noticeably absent were the heads to dozens, if not hundreds, of statues in the area around the temples--victims of the invading Burmese, from centuries ago, right up to the Kymer Rouge in the 1970s.

I noticed that many of the statues were carved of basalt, a black igneous rock. Finally, my education paid off...

I flew to San Diego in November of 2005--actually to see the Rolling Stones at Petco Park--but I couldn't help going to the San Diego Flea Market/Swap Meet the following Sunday.

There I encountered a Cambodia woman; who had just arrived in the US, and professed that she brought this stone head with her from Cambodia and that it was very old and famous.

I usually don't fall for dealer scams--I mean I AM in the business-- but a few too many things were lining up here, not to take notice.

1st, the seller was from Cambodia. That's a plus right there. 2nd, the piece is made out of basalt--just like the statues at Ankor Wat. And 3rd, this head has been broken off something...possibly by invading barbarians...this is no copy. The rock is too hard. They make copies out of sandstone, not basalt

At present this piece is NFS...until I learn more about it. But it's a most enjoyable piece to own, and I'm bettin' that it came from Ankor Wat or somewhere near...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home